Author Topic: Did Anyone Ever Listen To Petra?  (Read 172 times)

Offline maz

• Global Moderator
  • Elder
Did Anyone Ever Listen To Petra?
« on: October 14, 2017, 12:05:57 AM »
I think I am going to explore the Christian rock rabbit hole to see what comes up.

I kinda started thinking about this after I started thinking about my youth, and I recalled that one of my uncles had bought me this crazy rock album when I was a little kid. Here's the lead track.

Here's the whole album - Petra - Not of this World

I remember back quite a while back I remember reading a blog post about how pretty much all the new Christian rock groups were all faggots.

I highly doubt Petra were fags, but I have no doubt that they were completely misled by religion and by design. Apparently, the original lead singer was encouraged to do a bunch of cocaine and be more like Jimmy Page.

All of this stuff reminds me of the John Todd music conspiracy stuff. My uncles, the ones who got my into interested in religion and bought me the Petra album, were aspiring musicians and performers and they were pretty damn good at their craft. Back then, they were basically talking a bunch of John Todd Illuminati sex manic stuff and I just thought they were a bunch of nutjobs. Of course, they were right, but they didn't know the Jew stuff. I talk to them today and they still haven't figured it out.

I'll let you guys know if I find anything interesting.

Offline yankeedoodle

• Administrator
  • Elder
Re: Did Anyone Ever Listen To Petra?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 02:03:05 AM »
Used to listen to shortwave radio - before getting on the internet - and the shortwave bands are absolutely flooded with Christian broadcasters.  Sometimes while scanning, I would be surprised to discover competently-done rock music that I had to listen to for a bit to discover that it was Christian rock, after which you sensed that it was very controlled and a bit phony: trying to emulate the rock sound, without the spirit.  Unlike powerful music like gospel, the spirit of which heavily influenced rock and roll + soul + blues = rock. where the singers/musicians let loose.

Don't know what state of mind you would need to be in to listen to much of this Petra stuff.

Of course, much of rock music is about men singing about women, or vice versa, and that wouldn't be the case in Christian rock.   Music without the motivation might leave it sounding - accidentally, maybe, or maybe not - a bit airy-fairy. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 02:04:47 AM by yankeedoodle »

Offline maz

• Global Moderator
  • Elder
Re: Did Anyone Ever Listen To Petra?
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 12:33:24 PM »
Used to listen to shortwave radio - before getting on the internet - and the shortwave bands are absolutely flooded with Christian broadcasters.  Sometimes while scanning, I would be surprised to discover competently-done rock music that I had to listen to for a bit to discover that it was Christian rock, after which you sensed that it was very controlled and a bit phony: trying to emulate the rock sound, without the spirit.  Unlike powerful music like gospel, the spirit of which heavily influenced rock and roll + soul + blues = rock. where the singers/musicians let loose.

That's exactly how listening to Petra sounded after I went searching for them on YouTube. You nailed it-just like rock but without the soul.

Don't know what state of mind you would need to be in to listen to much of this Petra stuff.

It's like they took the best bits from Pink Floyd, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Yes mixed it all up with a bunch of lyrics about the rapture in order to try and win over rock fans. Except that it came nearly a decade later than the progressive rock trend.

No doubt these guys were stoned out of their minds. And in my original post I men to say that the lead singer was encouraged to do coke and act like Robert Plant, not Jimmy Page.

Either way, I look back on this album fondly because it reminds me of the summers I spent visiting family.